Friday, February 08, 2008

My First Plants

I am really grateful that I live in a tropical country. I can grow my plants all year round without having to worry about winter season.

Gardening is my hobby. I grow all of my plants in my front garden, although it is small. I have fruit trees, ornamental plants, spice plants and herbs. My first plants were herbs, which were Mahkota Dewa (Phaleria macrocarpa), Daun Dewa (Gynura pseudochina), Sambung Nyawa (Gynura procumbens), and Sambiloto (Andrographis paniculata). I had not known their medicinal uses when I bought them at a flora fair in Yogyakarta.

Phaleria macrocarpa: leaves (left), fruit (right)

Gynura pseudochina

Gynura procumbens

Andrographis paniculata: leaves (left), flower (right)

I have read books about medicinal herbs which were Tanaman Berkhasiat Obat di Indonesia 1-4 (Medicinal Herbs in Indonesia 1-4), Mahkota Dewa: Budidaya & Pemanfaatan untuk Obat (Phaleria macrocarpa: Cultivation & Medicinal Uses), Sambung Nyawa: Budidaya & Pemanfaatan untuk Obat (Gynura procumbens: Cultivation & Medicinal Uses), and Daun Dewa: Budidaya & Pemanfaatan untuk Obat (Gynura pseudochina: Cultivation & Medicinal Uses). Based on books above, Phaleria macrocarpa has been used in the treatment of cancer, diabetes, hypertension, hepatitis, kidney problem, and arthritis. Gynura pseudochina has been used in the treatment of stroke, arthritis, and cancer. Gynura procumbens has been used in the treatment of diabetes, hypertension, cough, and cholesterol. Andrographis paniculata is valued for its medicinal properties as an antidote to snake bites and has been used in the treatment of bronchitis, diabetes, hypertension, influenza, and tuberculosis. Herbs, traditionally, help to cure or prevent deseases in Indonesia.

4 comments:

Rusty in Miami said...

Thanks for stopping by my Blog, your garden and my are similar. Gardening in the tropics year around is a pleasure and a challenge. Good luck with your Blog.

Tira said...

Lovely plants. I never knew about these herbs before. I too enjoy living and gardening in a tropical clime.

Hort Log said...

do you grow Ficus deltoidea ? I am looking for various forms of this plant.

Ydiana said...

Hello from Malaysia

we sure share the same interest, although I am still quite new in gardening, less than a year.

I love the sambung nyawa plant. Have you tried eating it?