Monday, February 18, 2008

Bloom Day at Jogja Garden

I think the idea of bloom day is very good. So, I decided to post my bloom day post. I hope you can enjoy it...

This is my jasmine. It is a fragrant flower. The buds of jasmine is used to adorning traditional Javanese wedding dress and the bride's hair (for picture, visit http://users.skynet.be/dvran/inhoud_id.htm, click on Foto Pengantin)


My ixora or West Indian Jasmine is blooming too. When I was a kid I used to pick the flowers and suck the nectar from the root of the flowers.


This is Zodia plant. It is a fragrant plant which is used to repelling mosquitos. The strong fragrance of this plant can make you dizzy.


My Marasi plant shows its flowers again. The fruit of this plant is similar to miracle fruit. It gives you a sweet taste for a while though you have eaten bitter or sour foods. My mother brought home this plant when she had joined a field trip to Sukabumi. Unfortunately, it never gave me fruits since I have had it.


I found a ladybug in my garden three days ago. This bug is very rare now. Sorry, the picture is blur. It was hard to take pictures of this ladybug because the bug was very active.



14 comments:

Mad Man Bamboo Nursery said...

Thanks for the great photos!

Sean

Akhmad said...

Pak Surya. Marasinya sudah berbunga ya. Apakah sudah berbuah ?
Boleh pak, blog ini saya link di blog saya ? Trimakasih

Tira said...

I also have jasmine, and as children we used to suck the nectar of the ixora! Those bilimbi look good-here its quite rare, but they use it in pepper sauce. Thanks for your little glimpse of life in Jakarta.

arleynova said...

ini blog kok isinya kembang smua yaaa....

tapi aku juga suka jasmine kok ;;)

Colin and Carol said...

Our jasmine is about to flower too, I remember arab children picking the blooms to make poseys for the ladies; they were so scented they took your breath away. Good luck with your blog.

LadyLuz said...

I love your Zodia plant - would be good to have some in this area to repel the mosquitoes later in the year.

Jasmine is beautiful too. So many pluses to living in a tropical climate.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

This is my first visit at Jogja Garden and what do I find? Lovely fragrant Jasmine flowers. I love them! Wish they would grow in my climate too.

beckie said...

What beautiful flowers you have! Great for bloom day or any other day. The picture of the ady bug is perfect. We have so many...I wish I could send you some.

garden girl said...

beautiful pictures. I love the jasmine. Their fragrance is lovely. I had two of them, but one died over the winter. They aren't hardy here so I have them under a grow light in the basement.

Wicked Gardener said...

Zodia plant repels mosquitoes? I need to find some of that!!

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

How nice to see what's blooming on the other side of the world! Love the jasmines.

Curmudgeon said...

What lovely things you have growing and blooming.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

What an interesting blog, it is so enjoyable to see what gardeners across the globe plant. I would love to smell you Marasi plant, fragrant plants are a favorite of mine.

Surya said...

All of you, thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you enjoy it.